If you know someone who is threatening to make boiled sprouts for Christmas, it may not be too late to make them make these instead. You’ll be glad you did, and so will everyone else who eats them.
- Brussels sprouts
- Flour for batter (I use gram flour; optionally, add baking powder)
- Bacon-flavoured crispy snacks (I use generic own-brand ones, which are generally vegan)
- Plenty of oil for deep-frying (enough to cover the sprouts completely)
- Prepare the sprouts by cutting off the bottoms and removing as many outer leaves as you see fit.
- Make a fairly thick batter.
- Put the crispy snacks in a freezer bag and crush them with a rolling pin, or your choice of brute force.
- Heat enough oil to cover the sprouts.
- Dip each sprout in batter to coat, and drop them in the freezer bag to cover them in crumbs. Maybe roll gently between your hands to make sure they’re well stuck, and there isn’t too much flaking off.
- Deep fry in good hot oil until beautifully browned. This will not take long at all, which is good because it only takes a couple of minutes or so to ruin any brassica. It should be crisp, and not sulfurous.
- Remove from oil and drain on kitchen paper or whatever.
They’re good with maple syrup, and many other condiments.
Enjoy. Merry Christmas!
Or, if you’re reading this at some other time of year, merry not-Christmas!
(This recipe – a collaboration with Sonya Hallett – is vegan and gluten free, but feel free to mess around with it.)